Managing Organization Snippet Groups
What are Organization-managed Snippet Groups?
Snippet Groups created by Members of a TextExpander Organization start out as personal to the individual. The best way to manage Snippet Groups and see usage statistics on them is to make them managed by the Organization. Assigning a Snippet Group to the organization has a few benefits:
- Share Organization Snippet Groups instantly with Organization Members.
- Organization Snippet Groups have admin and edit permissions for increased management.
- Organization admins can see detailed usage statistics on Organization Groups.
- The information in the Groups remain with the Organization even if the original author leaves.
How to Assign a Snippet Group to an Organization:
- Organization Snippet Groups begin as personal Groups. To learn how to create a new Snippet Group see Adding Snippet Groups to TextExpander.
- Sign in to your TextExpander.com account, select “My Snippets” from the sidebar.
- Select the personal Snippet Group you’d like to share and select “Sharing” at the top.
- Select the Admin Default Permission to allow all new Members the right to add and remove Members and select the Edit Default Permission to allow all new Members the right to edit the Snippets in this Group. See Snippet Group Permissions to learn more.
- Scroll down to “Assign to Organization” and select your Organization.
From the TextExpander App, simply select the Snippet Group you’d like to share and select “Sharing” on the right. You’ll be redirected to TextExpander.com where you can follow the instructions above.
This Group is now managed by the Organization and the Group’s admin.
An Organization admin may delete an Organization Snippet Group. To do so:
- Sign in to your TextExpander.com account, select “Snippet Groups” from the sidebar.
- Search for the Snippet you’d like to delete and select the more menu to the right of Auto Join.
- Once you confirm, the Group will be permanently deleted. If you want to keep a copy of it you can export the Snippet Group first.
- Gather Snippet Group ideas from your team to keep everyone consistent and on the same page.
- Snippet Groups should be granular, don’t worry about creating too many as long as they’re useful. Reduce Snippet Group clutter by making sure Groups are only shared with Members who need them.
- Snippet Groups managed by the Organization should always have a recognizable Name, completed Notes, and a Group Prefix.
- Instead of deleting a Group, consider archiving it by setting “Expand in” to “No Applications” for that Group in its Settings.